There’s no better time to think about winter car safety than winter- especially if you’re getting invited to holiday parties and family gatherings during this time of year! It may be tempting to speed up when you’re running late to a holiday party, but the frigid temperatures and icy roads cause unique vehicle issues that you should monitor. To avoid getting caught in an accident this winter, you must take a few precautions to ensure safety at all costs for the people in the vehicle with you and your car itself.
What Are The Best Preventative Measures For Avoiding A Car Accident This Winter?
- This is a big one: check your wiper blades and replace them before you notice they stop working on the road! Even if Middle Tennessee gets less snow than some northern states, we get plenty of rain, especially during winter. It’s better to check those windshield wipers and fix them before they become a bigger issue down the road.
- Temperature and battery power are closely connected, so keep an eye out for your car’s battery power decreasing as temperatures plummet!
- Gas line freezes are very common as temperatures dip below freezing. A good rule of thumb is to keep your gas tank at least half full to avoid this stressful ordeal.
How Can You Ensure Maximum Safety When Driving During The Winter?
- This may sound like common sense, but give yourself enough following distance to have enough space to stop without having to jam the brakes. Overusing your brakes like that will cause damage to them over time.
- Carbon monoxide poisoning is a very real and dangerous situation to find yourself in when driving during the winter. Ensure that there isn’t snow in your car’s exhaust pipes, and do NOT keep your engine running longer than it should, especially with the windows up or in a cramped area.
- Keep certain items stored in your car during emergencies, including:
- An ice scraper
- A snow shovel
- Jumper cables
- Non-perishable food items
- Medicine, if necessary.
At Tow Pro, we value top-tier customer service, and we mean it! Our representatives answer real questions in real time because the last thing you want when your car is stuck on the side of the road is another robotic voice without the human element. Accidents happen out of the blue, so you may be worried that you haven’t done enough research on the right towing and hauling company near you. You can set those worries aside because our certified towing operators have passed all federal and state background checks, so you know they’re the real deal. If you need a reliable towing company to get you to safety this winter, contact us at (615) 256-TOWS (8697). We also specialize in heavy-duty towing, private property impounding, and specialized transport. No matter what, Tow Pro is here to help!